Government Shutdown 2017: Will Trump Go To War With Congress Over Border Wall, Military Spending?
Trump released his fiscal 2018 budget proposal Thursday and prefaced it with a letter to the legislative branch, which thinly alluded to the well-publicized border wall, along with his proposed increases in military spending by as much as $54 billion. He wrote: “A budget that puts American first must take the safety of our people its number one priority – because without safety, there can be no prosperity.”
However, earlier this week, Democrats had already stated that if the president planned to cut social programs and deport immigrants in order to build the highly controversial wall then a shutdown would be imminent.
“If Republicans insist on inserting poison pill riders such as defunding Planned Parenthood, building a border wall, or starting a deportation force, they will be shutting down the government and delivering a severe blow to our economy," Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York said in a statement.
Despite Republicans majority in both houses of Congress, especially the Senate, Trump’s administration would need to sidle up to some Democrats in order to gain the 60 Senate votes necessary to pass his budget.
Democrats have called for compromises and also have sequestration – which called for corresponding defense budget and non-defense budget cuts to pare down the deficit by $1.2 trillion - in their back pockets, however, a shutdown by April 29 could be possible.
The federal government, including the Defense Department, has been funded under a continuing budget resolution but that runs out by the end of April, according to Military Times. The current fiscal year’s budget won’t run down until Sept. 30, but a $578 billion military spending bill for 2017 that passed in the House had yet to make it through the Senate.
President Donald Trump's proposed budget could lead to a government shutdown by the end of April.Photo: Reuters
Korean day and night window blind Korean Blind, also known as Combi Blind or Rainbow Blind, performs the dual function of being a day blind as well as a night blind ₦9000 per square meter (non-negotiable). Lagos,Nigeria. Call : 08150990854 WhatsApp : 08120977476 Facebook Twitter Email WhatsApp STAY UPDATED WITH infinityprods.blogspot.com Contact: Infinity Productions Call/whatsapp: +2348178672673 FOR YOUR Event promotions Advert Placements /Marketing/Publicity COMMENT and SHARE
The Arewa Consultative Forum has disclaimed a report which described Olusegun Obasanjo as lacking in vision. former President Olusegun Obasanjo The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has dissociated itself from a statement attributed to its secretary-general, Anthony Sani, who reportedly described a former President Olusegun Obasanjo as lacking in vision. Sani was said to have made the comment while speaking with newsmen recently ACF in a statement by its national publicity secretary, Muhammad Ibrahim Biu said it is not in its character to attack elder statemen. The forum said attacking the views of an elder statesman of Chief Obasanjo’s status on national issues in such an uncomplimentary manner is uncalled for. Chief Obasanjo as an elder statesman is entitled to his opinion on all issues including democracy, as he had previously endorsed presidential candidates. “For the avoidance of doubt, all ACF official statements on any matter comes thro
Chilean forward, Alex Sanchez is set to be shown the exit door at the Old Trafford following a litany of poor performances. Alexis Sanchez The Red Devils believe he could serve as a replacement for Neymar or Kylian Mbappe Manchester United have discussed plans to offload Alexis Sanchez to Paris Saint-Germain in the summer, according to the Sun. Sanchez had been linked to PSG last winter and has failed to live up to expectations at Old Trafford, with his position in the team coming under threat. With massive wages, United are considering moving on from Sanchez and they believe PSG will be interested, should the Ligue 1 champions lose either Neymar or Kylian Mbappe, as expected. Is Roberto Martinez the new favourtie to take over the Real Madrid coaching post ahead of Antonio Conte? The Daily Mail claims that key figures in the Madrid dressing room did not want Conte as manager. The move for Martinez won't be an easy one, as he had